Pakistan Army’s Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) has said that the military courts have finalised 546 out of the total 717 cases sent to these courts since their establishment. According to the press release, out of the total 546 finalised cases, a total of 310 terrorists were awarded death penalty, whereas around 234 were handed prison sentences with varied durations. Two of the accused were also acquitted after their trails.
The full ISPR Press can be found below:
Update on Military Courts to date. Since establishment of courts cases of 717 accused terrorists were sent to Military Courts by Federal Government. Of these 717 cases 546 have been finalized by the Military Courts. Out of these 546 finalized cases, 310 terrorists were awarded death penalty while 234 were awarded rigorous imprisonment of varied duration ranging from life imprisonment to a minimum duration of 5 years. Two accused were also acquitted. Out of 310 sentenced to death 56 terrorists have been executed after completion of Legal process beyond Military Courts decisions which included their appeal in superior civil Courts and rejection of their mercy petition both by COAS and the President of Pakistan. Execution of death sentence of remaining 254 terrorists is pending completion of legal process in higher courts.
Those who have been awarded death penalty included masterminds, executers and abettors/ facilitators of, inter alia, following major terrorist incidents:-
1. APS Peshawar attack of 16 December 2014 (5 terrorist executed).
2. Marriot Islamabad terrorist attack, September 2008.
3. Parade Lane terrorist attack, December 2009
4. Attack on ISI office Multan, December 2009.
5. Terrorist attack on four SSG Soldiers including 2 Officers, April 2009 (one Terrorists Executed).
6. Attack on ISI office Sukker, November 2010.
7. Bannu Jail Break, April 2012 (one Terrorist executed).
8. Mastung Sectarian terrorist attack, April 2012.
9. Killing of Foreigners in Nanga Parbat, June 2013.
10. Terrorist attack on civilian and security officials at Chalas, August 2013.
11. Terrorist attack on SSP Chaudhary Aslam, January 2014.
12. Karachi Airport attack, June 2014.
13. Terrorists’ attack on Ms Sabin Mehmood, April 2015.
14. Terrorists’ attack Safora Ghot Karachi, May 2015.
15. Bacha Khan University attack, January 2016.
16. Terrorist attack on Amjad Sabri, June 2016.